As our METP program is drawing ever closer to the end, we are now planning a trip around China, lasting almost 3 weeks (my father will join us for first 2 weeks).
For those that are interested, below you can find our schedule. The trip includes 4-5 train rides (2 night-trains) between cities (+ local rides). Chinese railway map can make it easier to follow (found here).
- Beijing (北京)
- Neeme and Elina arrive by plane from Shanghai: 12:10 → 14:40, duration 2:30
- accommodation (5 nights): Happy Dragon Hostel
- in Beijing, no plans yet
- METP stuff:
- METP Intercultural Training Workshop – 14:00 → 18:00
- Networking Event – 18:30 → ...
- METP stuff:
- METP 5 Graduation Ceremony – 16:00 → 18:00
- METP Closing Ceremony – 18:00 → ...
- Great Wall
- train: 21:42 Beijing(北京) → 07:50 Luoyang (洛阳), duration 10:08 (link)
- Luoyang (洛阳)
- Longmen Grottoes (龙门石窟) tickets at Luoyang train station (Y120/child Y60), there is a free shuttle bus, regular lines nr. 60, 81 (Y2), taxi (~Y12). 15 km from city, ~30min. drive.
- train: Luoyang (洛阳) → Xi’an(西安), duration 1,5-2 tundi (options)
- Xi’an (西安)
- accommodation (2 nights): Xiangzimen International Youth Hostel
- Terracotta Army (兵马俑, ticket Y110), bus #306 last stop (~1h, ~Y10)
- Huaqing Hot Spring (华清池, ticket Y70, bath Y30), 10min drive from Terracotta Army, later bus back to city (Y7, 45min.)
- sightseeing in city, some options below:
- Bell tower (钟楼) in old town centre & Drum tower (鼓楼)
- The Great Wild Goose Pagoda (大雁塔) & The Great Wild Goose Pagoda North Square (大雁塔北广场)：large square with beautiful night scenes and fountains
- Ancient City Wall (古城墙) around old town
- Forest of steles/tombstones (碑林) & Shuyuanmen (书院门)：antiques, chinese paintings, etc
- The Great Mosque (清真寺) & Muslim Street (回民街): Food and shopping, Night Markets
- Tang Dynasty Lotus Park (大唐芙蓉园): just Tang Dynasty style, popular in recent years
- Famen Temple (法门寺) and Banpo Museum (半坡遗址) are great too, but a little far away.
- West Avenue (西大街), South Avenue (南大街) and Luomashi (骡马市, night market) for shopping
- Defu Alley (德福巷) for bars and cafes
- train: 20:07 Xi’an(西安) → 12:54 Chengdu(成都), duration 16:47 (link)
- Chengdu (成都)
- accommodation (2 nights): Chengdu Lazybones Backpacker Boutique Hostel
- capital of Sichuan province – famous for it’s spicy cuisine
- arrival in the afternoon
- STONE ELEPHANT LAKE ECOLOGICAL RESORT (石象湖, chill-out picnic)- (ticket Y50, boat Y20), straight bus from Xinnanmen stop (Y25), 86 km, ~1h 15min. drive from city
- Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding (ticket Y58, english guide Y100, taking picture with giant panda Y1000 :-P, with lesser panda Y100), straight bus #902, taxi (Y30), 10 km. ~30min. drive from city
- train: 15:38 Chengdu(成都) → 18:16 Emei(峨眉), duration 2:38 (link)
- bus, transfer, taxi (Y15) → Baoguo Village (报国村)
- accommodation at Teddy Bear Hotel (玩具熊酒店)
- Mount Emei (峨眉山)
- hiking in mountain : by bus from Baoguo (报国村) to Wuxiangang Park (五显岗车站), from there on foot to Qingyin Pavilion (清音阁) 1.5 km, from there on foot to Joking Monkey Zone (戏猴区) 1.5 km, from there back to Qingyin Pavilion (清音阁) 1.5 km, from there on foot to Wannian Temple (万年寺) 2km and from there either on foot 40min. or by cable-car 10min. (30Y) to Wannian bus stop (万年车场).
- from there by bus to Jieyin Hall (接引殿) and night at Taiziping monastery (太子坪).
- map of the mountain and one more
- early rise to see the sunrise, Jieyin Hall (接引殿) cable car (5min.Y40) to Golden Summit (金顶, Y10), walk back Jieyin Hall (接引殿, 2km ~1h), bus to Baoguo Village (报国村, ~2h)
- from Baoguo Village (报国村) bus to Leshan City (乐山, 40km, ~50 min, Y12), taxi to Leshan Port (乐山港, Y16), sightseeing ferry for Leshan Giant Buddha (乐山大佛, Y70, ~1h) Leshan map
- taxi to bus station, bus to Yibin (宜宾, ~1.5h) (or accommodation in Leshan)
- Yibin (宜宾)
- father flies back, plane: 12:50 Yibin → 15:35 Beijing
- Yibin Nan’an Long-distance Bus Station bus to Changning (长宁, 1h, Y11.50) every 20 min. between 6:30-19:00
- Changning bus to Wanling (万岭镇, biggest village in Bamboo Sea area, ~30min. Y4.50) every 20-30min. between 7:00-17:40
- Bamboo Sea (蜀南竹海, Shunan Zhuhai)
- accommodation “in the sea”
- buses from Wanling (万岭镇) to Changning (长宁) stop at 17:00, from Changning to Yibin (宜宾) stop at 18:00
- bus from Yibin (宜宾) to Chonngqing (重庆, 3.5h) every 50min. between 7:50-17:50
- accommodation: Yangtze River International Youth Hostel
- plane: 11:45 Chongqing (重庆) → 12:55 Guilin (桂林), duration 1:10
- in Guilin: bus from airport to city (28km, ~40min. Y20) after every flight, first stop Railway Station, 200m from station is Guilin Couch Terminal
- bus: Guilin → Longsheng County (龙胜, 100km, ~2,5h Y28) every 40 min, last bus at 18:00
- bus: Longsheng County → Ping An Village (25km, ~2h Y7) 7.40am, 9.20am, 11am, 1pm, 3pm and 5pm, or minibus (~2h), last bus at around 5pm
- accommodation at terraces
- Longsheng Rice Terrace (龙胜梯田, map)
- checking out the terraces (ticket to area Y50)
- accommodation at terraces
- somehow get back to Guilin.
- Bus schedule from PingAn to Longsheng: 7.30am, 9.00am, 11am, 1pm, 3pm and 5pm; fare: 7yuan one way.
- Longsheng → Guilin 13Y/15Y, ordi/fast, 2h, 6:00-17:30 ++ 10mn
- train: 15:36 Guilin (桂林) → 22:37 Changsha (长沙), duration 7:01 (link)
- accommodation (1 night): Changsha International Youth Hostel
- bus Changsha → Zhangjiajie city (张家界, Y108, ~3,5h) every 1.5h between 8:00-19:00, minibus “张家界市-武陵源”
- Zhangjiajie city → Wulingyuan bus station (Y10, ~40min.)
- city bus #2 (5min.) / taxi Y5 ~3min. to hostel
- (ticket to park Y248, valid for 2 days, includes free bus service inside the park)
- Zhangjiajie (张家界)
Huanglongdong e. Yellow Dragon Cave (黄龙洞)(Y82, takes approx. ~2h)
- accommodation (3 nights): Wulingyuan Zhongtian International Youth Hostel
- somehow get from Zhangjiajie to Changsha Airport
- plane: 16:15 Changsha → 17:50 Shanghai Hongqiao, duration 1:35
- plane back home:
- 20.04.11 02:35 Shanghai Pudong → 08:40 Moscow SVO
- 20.04.11 10:35 Moscow SVO → 11:20 Tallinn